Which Is Usually Required In Higher Education Applications?

The personal statement is one of the most important parts of your college application. It’s your chance to show who you are and why you deserve to be admitted to your dream school.

Checkout this video:

The Common Application

The Common Application is a not-for-profit membership organization that, since its founding over thirty-five years ago, has been committed to providing reliable services that promote equity, access, and integrity in the college application process. We serve students, member institutions, and secondary schools by providing application management services that simplify the process for all parties involved.

Since 1975, The Common Application has been accepted by over 600 colleges and universities nationwide. As of 2013, the organization had over 5 million applications on file.

The Coalition Application

The Coalition Application is a student-centered application that is accepted by over 90 colleges and universities. It is built on the premise that all students, regardless of background or circumstance, should have equal access to higher education. The Coalition believes that the college application process should be transparent, straightforward, and easy to use.

The Coalition Application was developed by a group of colleges and universities who are committed to expanding access to higher education. The member institutions believe that the application should be student-centered and support students throughout the college search and application process.

The Coalition Application is different from other college applications in several ways:

-It is free to use. There are no fees associated with the Coalition Application.
-It is student-centered. The Coalition Application was designed with input from students, counselors, and educators to make the college search and application process easier for everyone involved.
-It supports students throughout the entire process. In addition to the traditional college search tools, the Coalition Application includes a suite of resources to help students plan for college and apply for financial aid.
-It is accepted by over 90 colleges and universities across the country.

The Universal College Application

The Universal College Application (UCA) is an application that can be used by students applying to any number of colleges and universities. There is no one “universal” college application, but the UCA is certainly the closest thing to it. The UCA is not required by all colleges and universities, but it is recommended by many as a way to simplify the college application process.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

FAFSA is the main financial aid form required by colleges and universities in the United States. FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and institutional financial aid. The FAFSA form becomes available on October 1 each year and must be submitted by June 30 of the following year.

The CSS Profile

The CSS Profile is a financial aid application required by some colleges and universities. It is administered by the College Board, the same organization that administers the SAT.

The CSS Profile is similar to the FAFSA in that it collects information about your family’s finances and determines how much need-based aid you are eligible for. However, the CSS Profile has a few key differences:

There is a fee to submit the CSS Profile (currently $25 for one school and $16 for each additional school).
The CSS Profile asks for more detailed information than the FAFSA. For example, it includes questions about your family’s assets and investments, as well as your family’s medical and dental expenses.
The CSS Profile is used by a smaller number of colleges than the FAFSA. In general, only private colleges and universities require the CSS Profile.
If you are applying to college and you think you might qualify for need-based financial aid, be sure to check whether the schools you are interested in require the FAFSA or the CSS Profile (or both). You can find this information on each school’s website.


Most higher education institutions in the United States require applicants to take the SAT as part of the admissions process. The SAT is a standardized test that measures critical reading, mathematics, and writing skills. It is designed to provide colleges with a common metric for comparing applicants.


The ACT is usually required in higher education applications. This standardized test measures a student’s academic readiness for college. It covers four main subject areas: English, reading, math and science. The ACT is accepted by all four-year colleges and universities in the United States.

AP Exams

AP Exams are usually required in higher education applications and may give you an edge over other applicants. Taking AP Exams can also help you prepare for college-level work.

IB Exams

The International Baccalaureate (IB) program offers a challenging curriculum, culminating in exams that are recognized by colleges and universities around the world. Students who complete IB exams often receive college credit or advanced placement, making the transition from high school to college easier.


The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are both tests that are used to measure a person’s proficiency in the English language. The TOEFL is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and the IELTS is administered by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and Cambridge English Language Assessment. Both tests are accepted by many colleges and universities in the United States, although some schools may require one test over the other.

Scroll to Top