What Can You Do With a Masters in Education?

There are many different things you can do with a Masters in Education. You could become a teacher, a school administrator, a policymaker, or even an education researcher. The possibilities are endless!

Checkout this video:


A career in teaching can be extremely rewarding. You have the opportunity to help shape young minds, instill a love of learning in students, and watch them grow and succeed. Teaching can be a demanding profession, but it is also incredibly rewarding. With a masters in education, you can pursue a career as a teacher at the elementary, middle, or high school level.

Classroom teacher

In order to become a classroom teacher, you will need to earn a teaching license or certification from your state. Once you have done that, you can apply for teaching jobs at public and private schools. You can also work as a substitute teacher or an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher.

Special education teacher

Special education teachers work with students who have a wide range of learning, mental, emotional, and physical disabilities. They adapt general education lessons and teach various subjects, such as reading, writing, and math, to meet the needs of each student. They also develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) to help disabled students overcome obstacles and succeed in school. Special education teachers typically work in elementary or secondary schools, but some may work in hospitals or other settings.

School counselor

A school counselor is a professional who provides academic, personal, and career guidance to students in elementary, middle, and high schools. Counselors work with students to help them overcome personal, social, and academic difficulties both in and out of the classroom. In addition to providing counseling services, school counselors also develop and implement programs to promote student success.

School administrator

A school administrator is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of a school. This can include tasks such as hiring and firing staff, developing budgets, and creating educational policies. In order to become a school administrator, you will need to have at least a master’s degree in education.


A Master’s in Education can lead to a career in research. There are many research opportunities available for those with a Master’s in Education. You can choose to focus on a specific area of education, such as early childhood education, and conduct research in that area. You can also choose to work in a more general field of education research. There are many options available for those with a Master’s in Education.

Education researcher

Education researchers conduct studies on all aspects of education, from early childhood development to adult learning. They develop and carry out research projects, analyze data, write reports and papers, and present their findings to educators, policy makers and the general public.

Most education researchers work in colleges or universities, but some are employed by government agencies or private research organizations. Some work as independent consultants. Many education researchers have a Ph.D. in education or a related field such as sociology, psychology or economics.

Education researchers typically specialize in a particular area of interest, such as early childhood development, K-12 education or higher education. They may also specialize in a specific issue such as curriculum development, assessment methods or teaching practices.

Policy analyst

Policy analysts work in all levels of government to develop sound public policies. They conduct research, prepare reports, hold meetings with interest groups, and make recommendations to government officials. Many policy analysts have a masters in education, which gives them the skills they need to develop and analyze educational policies.

Other Careers

Although most people with a master’s in education go on to become teachers, there are a number of other careers that are open to graduates. With a master’s in education, you could become a school administrator, a guidance counselor, or a special education teacher. You could also work in a non-teaching role in education, such as a policy analyst or a curriculum developer.

Educational Consultant

Most people with a masters in education become teachers, but there are other options. One possible career path is to become an educational consultant. Educational consultants work with schools and districts to help them improve their educational programs. They may also work with individual students and families to help them choose the right school or choose the best educational resources for their needs.

Education lobbyist

career as an education lobbyist.

Lobbyists represent the interests of their clients, which can include individuals, businesses, nonprofits, and trade associations, among others. Their job is to advocate on behalf of their clients to policymakers at all levels of government.

Education lobbyists work to influence education policy. They may lobby for increased funding for education programs or for specific reforms such as school choice or standardized testing. They may also work to influence accreditation standards or the regulation of private schools.

Education lobbyists must have a thorough understanding of the legislative process and be able to build relationships with elected officials. They must also be excellent communicators and have the ability to persuasively present their clients’ positions on issue

Educational non-profit worker

Masters in Education graduates looking to enter the non-profit world may consider becoming an educational non-profit worker. Educational non-profits include organizations such as Teach For America, The New Teacher Project, and TNTP. These organizations work to close the achievement gap and improve education in high-need areas. Educational non-profit workers typically have a background in teaching or education administration.

Scroll to Top